Thursday, November 17, 2011

The benefits of a heightened sense of smell

I've always thought I had an extra acute sense of smell. I smell extra bad when its bad and extra good when its good. I smell everything. "What is that smell?" is a common phrase in my vocabulary. "What does that taste like?" is often described in terms of smell. For instance, I have never become a whiskey connoisseur because to me whiskey tastes like the smell of a barn. A barn filled with hay, animals and all that comes along with it. My favorite new beverage, ZICO - tastes like the smell of a large bowl of Frosted Flakes more specifically the milk after you eat the Frosted Flakes.  Apparently I relate to the world with my sense of smell.
For the past week or so I have become aware of a strong burning plastic smell each and every time I got out of the driver's side door of Mr. Prius. At first if was faint and I thought I was imagining things. I assumed I was nuts and forgot about it until the next time it smelled stronger and it only seemed to come from my driver's side wheel well area,so then I became more concerned and made Dustin smell it too.
I read into it online to find out what might be happening. I read a lot about the different smells people experience inside their Prius which wasn't happening to me and I also read that sometimes a grocery bag can get stuck under your car and melt  to the bottom causing the chemical burning smell of melting plastic to permeate in and around your car . After researching and continuing to smell the plastic burning each time I exited the car I finally called Richie at Qualtech to make sure I wasn't nuts. He told me to bring it in and they'd put the car on the lift and we'd find out what was going on.
I made Richie smell around my car and he seemed to think it was coming from the same driver's side wheel well that I had noticed it. They threw it up on the lift and looked at driver's side wheel well to find nothing, no HEB bag trapped near my wheel, melting to death. His mechanic took the vehicle out on a test drive to get the car and plastic melting smell all heated up again and returned to put the vehicle on the lift. During the test drive the mechanic noticed that something was wrong with the driver's side front wheel bearing and that was causing what I thought was extra road noise from my tires an issue that would have to be fixed but still no plastic. After they solved the wheel bearing mystery they were walking under my car and on the exhaust pipe directly under the middle of Mr. Prius was a faint blue and pink stripe from an old Ziploc baggie, permanently attached in an odd artistic formation to the bottom of Mr. Prius. My nose was right and it helped me solve the extra road noise mystery with exactly 17300 miles left on the powertrain warranty. Not under warranty the labor alone would have been close to $300 to repair. I am extremely grateful.
With exactly one week until Thanksgiving I will start my Thank you's and Grateful's now.
I am grateful for...Mr. Prius
I am grateful for...Ziploc Baggies
I am grateful for...my Sense of Smell
I am grateful for... my unwarranted attention on driver's side wheel well for the wrong reason
I am grateful for...Qualtech Automotive, Thank you Richie for not thinking I'm completely nuts and for checking to see if it was a warranty repair with Toyota
I am grateful for...60k mile Powertrain Warranty
.....
.....
I am grateful for...Thursday night football in Blacksburg...GO HOKIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment