Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pinterest, Food & Yogification

So new obsession/list maker/reminder/bulletin board  - Pinterest. I've had it for a while but never done anything with it. Until this week when researching recipes on FoodGawker. Easiest way to save the recipes I like instead of printing them off and eventually tossing them in the trash is to pin them. Awesome, brilliant, easy. Oh how technology helps improve our daily lives, simplifying an entire mountain of paperwork onto a bulletin board online. There goes any type of scrapbooking I ever planned on doing.
So food this week. We are back on the every other week plan for our Farmhouse Delivery. We took a week off during the New Year's holiday since we weren't around to cook. This week was bountiful to say the least. The box pretty much exploded with greens when I opened it up at the office. Beets - check! Yes, I can make my roasted beet, feta and quinoa salad again. Kale - check! Some type of braised greens dish. Lettuce, Cabbage, Sweet Potato - triple check! Lemons, Oranges, Avocados, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cilantro  - awesome! All of the aforementioned fruits/veggies were just the tip of the iceberg compared to the GINORMOUS and I am talking biggest ever seen in my life gigantic Turnips. FIrst time we've had turnips in our delivery and honestly these rather large beasts slightly frightened me. Again another veggie that I dont think I've been privy to eating before in my life and their 'bigger than my face' persona were daunting. No worries, a little pinning and a little gawking brought me to a delicious recipe for Beef Stew with Turnips and Turnip Greens.
Kendall and I just finished our later than lunch snack and the Stew was awesome. The entire bottle of red wine I used to deglaze the meat probably helped the flavor profile of the stew but I cannot wait to eat leftovers for dinner. And the turnips...I made myself taste some of it before I cooked it. I read about them before and saw comparisons to everything from potatoes to apples to radishes. One person mentioned loving to eat them raw like an apple and I can honestly understand why. It was fresh and crisp and sweet and tangy, like a combination of an apple and a radish. To me it almost tasted like an underripe pear without the granule sandy texture that you get with a pear. After it was stewed it was soft and took on the flavor of the stew beautifully - I'm sure this is where the potato comparisons come from. I added my turnip greens, kale and beet greens in with the stew as well to give the stew some extra green and add to the nutrition value. Fantastic recipe.
In other news - on the yoga front I've done two days of yoga since I last posted. Yesterday at 4:30pm and this mornings class at 9:30am, both were taught by Jeff. I repeated my upper back popping both times its almost like my spine adjusts when I drop my head in the standing separate leg stretching pose. Whatever I'm doing I will continue - its awesome. What did I ever do without Bikram? I talked through the yoga thing with Kendall and we planned for her to join me in class this morning. I had a spot for her all set up and Dustin brought her to the studio after her Gymnastics class this morning. She totally wussed out and did not come into the studio. I definitely wasn't expecting that. I was more afraid that she would be talking during the class and disrupt everyone's practice but instead she refused to come in at all. Maybe some day she'll want to try it again. After the class was over I took her in the room with me so she could see it wasn't THAT hot - for her benefit I compared it to an indoor swimming pool that needs to be warm so that you aren't cold when you get out of the pool and you're all wet. Ah well...someday I will further yogify my household. Perhaps Dustin is the next one to join me in the hot room.

No comments:

Post a Comment